Tuesday, January 24, 2012

City Guide to New York Part I: Broadway, Union Square & Flatiron

200 Fifth Ave., New York


A few steps from the Flatiron Building is Eataly - an artisanal food market that will surely make you drool. I had to contain the urge to eat everything I saw and smelled because I was saving my appetite for Collichio and Son's.



Eataly is Italy inside a large room. Opened by successful Italian retailer Oscar Farinetti and chef Mario Batali, it is essentially a market where Italian foods are made available to everyone, at sustainable prices and in a Mom-and-Pop type setting. Shopping is made easy because food is arranged in crates and racks, according to make or kind. And if you just can't wait to try those goodies, you may sit down and indulge in any of the dining options located quite strategically beside the grocery racks.

I like Eataly because of its buzz and how it reminds me of the markets in Florence and Frascatti. Except for the clacking of stilettos and New Yorkers jabbering away, I'd say it feels pretty authentic. Smells pretty darn good inside too. I didn't buy anything though. I figured I'd be back soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment