Saturday, May 26, 2012

Beijing You Make Me Love You More

Call it lucky or modesty aside, much deserved, that my job brought me to Beijing for the second time for another special occasion. We were to hang out with Japanese designer Mihara Yasuhiro. He is, by the way, the coolest. He is Japan, kinks and all. Mighty proud of his county and it shows in his designs. 

While waiting for the frenzy, I had an afternoon to myself. It was the last of China's winter and it was so beautiful that I headed out with one destination in mind  - 798 Art Space, former industrial zone turned art and cultural center. This was the side of the city that turned me on quickly and made me love Beijing even more. The art scene is so alive and locals were enjoying it. Art for all. 

Inside were numerous galleries including the imposing UCCA (with a cool souvenir shop I must say!) and countless installation art. Remnants of its factory heydays were all over. The place was a combustion of art, urban and industrial design. Took me a good 4 hours to go around. I ended up in a quaint cafe (that felt like one from Lucerne) and rewarded my travails with good vino. One of the best afternoons I've ever had. And I was back to work more inspired.
















No comments:

Post a Comment